Thursday, July 14, 2011

   For a few weeks now, I’ve had chevron on my mind. I asked Kyle (my wonderfully amazing and encouraging boyfriend!) if I could paint a wall in the snowboard room and he agreed. The snowboard room is just an extra room in his house that is home to snowboards, snowboard gear, and some other stuff. Its the only room in the house that isn’t really ‘done’, so I figured if I paint it and it sucks, no one will see it/he could paint over it eventually.
Shortly after I announced my excitement to start chevron-ing (?), Scott said that I could chevron a wall in his room. YAY! So, I set out to Home Depot for supplies and got started with Kyle’s help. He is literally good at just about everything so I think I definitely had an advantage (which I am super thankful for:) The wall turned out just as I had hoped and I am IN LOVE with it! The guys really like it too which is awesome since its in their house ;)
GET YOUR CHEVRON ON!
  • blue painters tape
  • a sturdy rule, or measuring tape
  • a long level (optional, but super helpful
  • an assistant for the measuring part if you’re doing a big wall like I did (optional, but super helpful as well)
  • a paintbrush
  • a wet cloth or paper towel (for wiping up small errors and drips)
  • paint!!
  • an Xacto knife or box cutter (to cut the painter’s tape if necessary)
  Decide how thick you want your chevron to be. Scott told me he wanted his THIS BIG, referring to the length between the tip of his pointer finger and his thumb, 7 inches. Kyle and I used the big level as if it was a giant ruler so that we could easily map out the zig zag. To make things a little easier, I’m going to draw and post the real deal how to for lining up your zig zags because its hard to explain without a visual, yanno.
Once you have your lines up, just lay your blue painter’s tape accordingly. This and actually drawing the lines/points is the most time consuming part. Once thats done though, painting will be a breeze! I put down one thin coat for the first application, starting at the top. By the time I got to the bottom, the top was dry enough for its second coat. I gooped on lots more paint for this coat which was perfect. You don’t want to spread your paint too thin but you also don’t want it to drip.
I waited about an hour and a half before I took the painter’s tape off. You should probably wait just a bit longer but I was way too excited to be patient so I peeled it off sooner than later.
The picture above is of me and the finished product. I am in LOVE with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment